Tuesday, February 18, 2020



Published:
1st edition, 100 copies: December 2019
2nd edition, 100 copies: January 2020
ISBN: 978-0-9868890-7-3
Price: $15 CDN/US including shipping
33 pages
Standard paper, cardstock cover
Status: In Print



Ethel Meilleur's Funny Girl is absolutely a must-read:
Lusty in lung and busty in breath, these poems are
gusty with gusto. You gotta read em aloud, shout em out,
and bust out laughin--appropriately--when you comprehend
the gutsy Black, back-country wisdom, the Africadian, 
aphoristic backtalk, and the bluesy narratives that the poet
throws down. These lyrics are hoe-down, show-down, and
get-down at sundown. Only a serious Funny Girl can deliver
lines like these: "Wrap me in your personality / and roll me
off your tongue // open your mouth and let the river run through /
while I fish into your taste buds." Mmm, mmm, mmm. Amen,
Amen, Amen-Ra, Rah-Rah-Rah.

George Elliott Clarke
7th Parliamentary Poet Laureate (2016 & 2017)



DUST BUNNY GRANNY HERE

Someone asked, Hey Dust Bunny Granny
was ya ever married
damn straight I was
I was married to Bugs Bunny but
he hopped around on me
I divorced him for Goofy
that was a goof-up
I left him for Dagwood
Dagwood fed me so many fattening sandwiches
I gained one hundred and fifty pounds
I left him for Porky Pig and now
I’m full of shit!



Ethel Meilleur was born in 1950 in Truro, Nova Scotia and moved to Montreal in her teens, where she now lives. She has worked in factories, in sales, in domestic and customer service, and late in life returned to high school and continued on as a mature student in creative writing at Concordia University. She has two children, seven grandchildren, and two great grandchildren. Her work in the Timeless Voices anthology by The International Library of Poets earned Meilleur their nomination as Poet of the Year in 2006. Meilleur’s poetry has also appeared in Kola, The Blasted Tree, Concordia Write Nights and various other publications.


No comments:

Post a Comment